That’s an easy recipe for busy “hobby” gardeners like myself on a sunny spring day! As the different shrubs are gradually blooming spoiling us with stunning blossoms and flowers, some cleaning up work needs to be done after the long winter.
Here’s a delicious quiche with puff pastry (I was lucky to find one made from spelt flour), leek, bacon, fresh cream, eggs and cheese. I love the sweet, oniony flavour of leek in this quiche recipe. I also love to add them in soups, especially potato soup because they add more depth and creaminess.
This recipe can be easily turned vegetarian by omitting the bacon and adding some Herbs de Provence or thyme.
How to clean leek
You will always find dirt and debris inside the many layers and leaves. To make sure your leek is clean, you grab a sharp knife and do the following:
- First trimm both ends and get rid of the tough tops and dark green leaves.
- Cut leek lengthwise and place in a colander. Run cold water in the outer layers and continue layer for layer until you reach the harder core, which will be clean most of the time.
- Rinse thoroughly, drain and slice into rings.
- If you plan ahead, you can rinse and cut your leek the night before and preserve in the fridge. You can also freeze in portions for later use in soups.
Quiche with Leek
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 4 Leeks (about 750 g)
- 150 g bacon cut into small pieces
- 200 g heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- Salt black pepper, nutmeg
- 250 g puff pastry sheet
- 150 g Emmental cheese grated
- Trim the leek and rinse thoroughly. Drain and slice into 0.5 cm rounds. Grease the bottom and side of a 30-cm quiche dish with little butter and cover with the puff pastry.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté the bacon for a few minutes. Add the leek, season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until nicely wilted. Let cool for 5 minutes and spread over the puff pastry.
- Whisk the eggs with the cream, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg. Pour the mixture over the leek and cover with cheese.
- Heat oven at 200 °C/ 400°F and bake for about 40 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
gene baroudi says
Tried it it’s excellent and tasty
Glad you liked it! It is easy and delicious! Thank you 🙂