Try this tangy, flavourful cranberry relish with your roasted turkey this Christmas. You will love the citrus tones and the gingery kick in it! These bright refreshing flavours blend beautifully with the gravy and the tender, juicy slices of the meat.
The way I cook it is more like a jam. If preserved in sterilized jars, it will keep long in your cool cellar or in your fridge. It tastes so good with cheese and wine, as well as with grilled chicken and any kind of roast meat.
- 250 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- 100 ml orange juice
- 400 g cranberries
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 x 200 ml sterilized jars
- Mix sugar and lemon juice in a medium-sized pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring all the time, for about 10 minutes until caramelized. Add the zest and ginger and cook for one minute.
- Add in the orange juice, cranberries and white pepper and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes). Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring all the time, until cranberries are completely broken and relish thick like a jam. Do the jam test by pouring a drop of the jam onto a saucer. It should hold on the plate. Immediately fill sterilized jars and turn upside down to create a vacuum.