We have had an unusually magnificent weather for almost 2 months in a row in Germany. Days are very hot. With temperature reaching 30°C at noon, and homes without air conditioning, who wants to spend lots of time in the kitchen? Last week I gave my last cooking course in this heat before summer break, and that wasn’t very amusing. With permanent sunshine, day in, day out (we are not used to that in this part of the world), I find myself running most of the day. There’s always something to do in the house and in the garden. The jam-making season is also in full swing now, keeping me quite busy for a while.
Exhausted as I am most of the time, my life is calling for easy and simple dishes. Ijjet koussa is one of them. This savoury zucchini omelette is hearty without being too filling, just the right food on busy days. If you live in Europe like me, you won’t easily find those small and immature zucchinis, as they are mostly harvested when large in size (longer than 20-cm). The smaller the zucchini the sweeter it tastes. It is not fibrous and its seeds are soft. Nowadays, I often find the Lebanese summer squash, which has a very light green colour and tastes simply like home.
Ijjet Kousa - Zucchini Omelette
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized zucchini 400 g, both ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- 6 medium-sized eggs
- 150 ml cold milk
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté the onions and the zucchini for 5 minutes until the onions are glazed and the zucchini a bit tender. Season with the salt and pepper and mix in the parsley.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 30-cm round baking pan with 2 tablespoons sunflower oil and spread it with the vegetables.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl and pour over the vegetables.
- Preheat oven (220°C – 425 °F). Bake on lower second rack for about 35 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with a salad of your choice.