I never thought I would be cooking mhallabiyeh that often again until my daughter returned home to study for her final exam in med school. I have been preparing this creamy milk pudding almost day in day out to treat my big little girl for 6 weeks now, with pleasure, which goes without saying.
In my recipe I use ground rice like my mother and grandmother, and flavour my smooth mhallabiyeh with orange blossom water. Mhallabiyeh doesn’t only make the perfect sweet for hungry souls after a long day of studying, but also an exquisite dessert for your guests. Serve it with compote of your choice (I love fruit cocktails), and enjoy the creaminess of the aromatic pudding and the juices of the compote mixing heavenly together. Divine!
Mhallabiyyeh - Creamy Rice Pudding
- 1 litre cold milk
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 100 g ground rice
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom
- Cocktail Compote to serve
- Whisk the milk, sugar and ground rice in a medium pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring all the time in one direction, for about 12 minutes until the pudding boils and thickens to coat the back of the spoon. Flavour with orange blossom water and stir once.
- Immediately pour the pudding into small dessert bowls, allow to cool and chill.
- Serve plain or with some cocktail compote.