This recipe is dedicated to my English brother-in-law, Charlie. Ever since he introduced me to this hearty dish, I have been making it for my family very often, preferring it to the “Lebanese Shepherd’s pie (No offence !). The Uncle Ben’s sauce which comes in different flavours (I love the sweet and sour ones) adds an extra note, making it so flavourful and juicy that you will be satisfied without any salad on the side. The melted and crispy cheese on top, combined with the creamy mashed potatoes rounds it into a delicious and savoury gratin.
This shepherd’s pie is easy to make, and doesn’t need long planning. You will always have potatoes, milk and butter in your pantry, and you will soon start adding Uncle Ben’s jars to your shopping list once you’ve tried this recipe. I assure you this tasty dish will soon become everybody’s favourite in your family. On top of that, you can’t really go wrong with it, adding your own flavours and playing with the ingredients.
Charlie's Shepherd's Pie
- 1.5 kg potatoes peeled and quartered
- 400 ml milk
- 1- teaspoon salt
- 30 g butter
- 60 ml oil
- 2 medium onions peeled and chopped
- 1 small chilli chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 500 g minced meat
- 1- teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1- teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Worchester sauce
- 1 jar uncle Ben’s sauce sweet and sour
- 50 ml hot water
- Butter to grease the pan
- 150 g cheddar cheese shredded
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and add enough water to cover. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover loosely and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes break easily when pierced with a knife. Pour out all of the water, and mash the potatoes in the pot with a potato masher until smooth without any lumps. Add the milk, butter and salt and continue mashing until creamy.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté the onions for 5 minutes until wilted. Add the chilli and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add in the meat, salt, sweet paprika and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes until done, stirring all the time. Mix in a few drops of Worchester sauce. Pour in the uncle Ben’s sauce and water, bring to a boil and cook covered over low heat for few minutes.
- Pour the meat mixture onto your greased pan, spread evenly with mashed potatoes, and cover with cheese.
- Preheat oven (200°C-400°F). Bake on second lower rack for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes and serve hot with a salad of your choice.